SACRAMENTO, CA - A hoarder's home offered plenty of fuel when it went up in flames Wednesday night.
Neighbors said the woman who lives at the home on the 2000 block of 66th Avenue, off Florin Road, had made threats to set her house on fire previously. Police detained her in front of her burned out house, but it is still unclear what will happen to her.
The woman's pet dog didn't survive the fire.
When Sarah Urbina saw her neighbor's home on fire, she grabbed her garden hose and tried to help put out the flames. When she saw the woman who lives at the home outside, she asked her what happened.
"She was telling me that she was lighting a candle inside the garage 'cause she was cleaning it out," Urbina said
Chamber of Hoarders Learning points:
- Dealing with the occupant can be dangerous
- Hoarder Fire pose serious problems for the advancing Hose Teams
- Be aware of the need for Police intervention
- Protect the on scene personnel from dangers of interacting with occupants